Community outreach and advocacy
As a part of AmeriHealth Caritas, PerformCare embraces the AmeriHealth Caritas mission to help people get care, stay well, and build healthy communities. Part of this involves maintaining a strong presence in the communities that we serve to ensure that our members and their families are getting the care that they need. We do this by:
- Encouraging feedback and soliciting input from our members via Stakeholder meetings such as the Stakeholder Steering Committee, the Autism Advisory Group, and a Family Issues Group
- Offering member, family and community education
- Collaborating with the community through outreach and participation in community events
- Working closely with county agencies, advocacy organizations, and a variety of community support groups to stay close to issues of importance for our members and their families
Our community outreach includes:
- Strong autism programs
Along with the Autism Advisory Group, we developed and distributed an Autism Brochure designed to educate the community on Autism diagnosis. We remain a primary sponsor of the Autism Society of America's Walk/Run for Autism Awareness event, and we work with the Autism Society of America - Harrisburg Chapter to provide ongoing advocacy assistance for members and families.
- Educational tools developed specifically for the community
The Parent Series, which involves a set of three informational modules designed to educate families about the behavioral health care system and how to better understand their children's care options. The Parent Series is facilitated by a trained parent in conjunction with PerformCare presenters.
- Consumer/family affairs advocates
These advocates become personally involved with members, families, and community organizations to help them voice their concerns, navigate the complaint and grievance system, and ensure access to care. They are readily available to provide educational outreaches in the community, and are closely linked to support groups and organizations in the areas that they serve.